I am a professor in History and the director of American Studies at the University of Mary Washington in Fredericksburg, Virginia. My teaching and research focus on several topics in American history, including popular culture, consumerism, the American West, race and ethnicity, gender and sexuality, immigration, and foodways.
- America Classifies the Immigrants: Ellis Island to the 2020 Census (review) in Western Historical Review 50, no. 2 (Summer 2019): 185-186.
- Japanese American Relocation in World War II: A Reconsideration (review) in Journal of Southern History 85, no. 2 (May 2019): 498-499.
- The Chinese Must Go: Violence, Exclusion, and the Making of the Alien in America (review) in History: Reviews of New Books 50, no. 2 (February 2019): 144-145.
- “From Arlandria to Chirilagua: The Shifting Demographics of a Northern Virginia Neighborhood,” The Metropole (Official Blog of the Urban History Association), February 11, 2019; https://themetropole.blog/2019/02/11/from-arlandria-to-chirilagua-the-shifting-demographics-of-a-northern-virginia-neighborhood/
- “Where Allies are Key: Student Discussions around American Immigration,” (presentation) at the Southern Regional Chapter of the American Studies Association Conference, March 2019.
- “Migrations to and beyond Atlanta,” (panel chair) at the Southern Regional Chapter of the American Studies Association Conference, March 2019.
- “Immigration Restrictions and International Education: Early Tensions in the Pacific Northwest, 1890s-1910s,” History of Education Quarterly 58, no. 2 (2018): 1-34.
- “A Chinese Slave in Alexandria? Melissa Ann Hussey’s Eclectic Trousseau,” Alexandria Chronicle (Fall 2018): 13-15.
- “Scottish White Ethnic Revivalism and Usable Pasts in Alexandria, Virginia,” IEHS Blog, October 13, 2018; https://iehs.org/krystyn-moon-scottish-white-alexandria/.
- “Asians and Asian Americans and the Performing Arts prior to World War II,” Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Literature, October 2018; DOI:10.1093/acrefore/9780190201098.013.916.
- Chinatown Opera Theater in North America (review) in Theatre Survey 59, no 1 (January 2018): 115-117.
- Professor History and Director of American Studies, 2017-Present.
- Southern Regional Chapter of the American Studies Association, Executive Board Member, 2009-Present.
- SASA President, 2014-2018.
- American Studies Association-Japanese Association for American Studies Project, Advisory Committee, 2017-Present.
- ASA-JAAS Project Co-Chair, 2018-Present.
- Alexandria Historical Society, Executive Board, 2017-Present.
- AHS President, 2018-Present.
- African American Maritime Heritage Trail, Office of Historic Alexandria, 2018-Present.
- Historic Alexandria Resources Commission, Office of Historic Alexandria, 2017-2018.
- Fort Ward Historic Park and Museum Interpretive Committee, Office of Historic Alexandria, 2016-Present.
Fall 2019 Courses: